Saturday, July 19, 2008

Current Network

I have been doing a lot of networking of late... I had four different routers in four weeks trying to get the functionality I was looking for. I finally settled on the wrt600n router to meet all my needs. I wanted something that would give me Ndraft wireless, dual channel real time, and a gigabit switch. (I got burned by the box of a Netgear that stated dual channel, but it meant one or the other, not both) and rock solid reliability. (Don't get started on whose routers are better, I happen to like Linksys). My previous router was a WRT54G which is an industry standard router pretty much. That little tank was ALWAYS up, so much so that I forgot all the settings, etc. So my current configuration is:

WRT600N
Wired:
Windows Home Server direct wired
Xbox 360 direct wired
XP Desktop

5Ghz N Draft
WGN600N
Belkin USB Hub direct wired
Hooked up to the Belkin is an Epson R1800

2.4Ghz G
XP Laptop
Vista Premium Laptop

One of my recent lessons was in security. I can say that I saw a 100% increase in G network speed by switching to WPA2 and AES over WPA with TKIP. When transferring 32GB of music from a laptop over to the Home Server, that is a HUGE difference. So if you have AES capability on your machines I highly recommend making the switch!

No comments: